|The Tombolo dress from Anthropologie|
I loved this dress from the first time I saw it in the catalog. I also thought it would be an insanely easy copy project. I was going to wait until my Summer of No Pants got going, but I just can’t the weather is finally turning nice and I really want to wear my dresses before it gets soooo hot I am living in a bathing suit at the pool…
I really don’t know how to explain my process. I didn’t use a pattern and I don’t know how to officially “drape” anything. I did drape this on my dress form and came up with something. I will try to explain the photos I took.
I scored about 3 yards of this ultra thin almost gauze weight fabric at the Goodwill. It cost about $3 for the bundle and it was all one piece. There was enough to make the maxi dress and bias tape for the straps and edging. I also pulled off the ruffle with relative ease. I started by cutting 2 rectangles, x (insert personal measurements here). I pinned them together with right sides facing and then attempted some darts.
After wearing this dress today, I don’t need the darts, and I may change the top of this to be just a straight tank. I sewed the two pieces together at the sides and zigzagged teh edges so that nothing frays.
I used my bias tape maker to whip out this edging and straps combo.
I made a ruffle using 2 rectangles that I sewed together at the short sides creating a circle. Then using the longest stitch length I have did a basting stitch to make the ruffle. Then with right sides together I stitched to the base of the main dress. I ironed a hem and stitched it in on the very bottom edge.
It was so comfortable to wear. I had a slip, cause it was so sheer, but that also helped keep it from riding up where it was snug. I tried to style it in a similar way to the catalog, because that was one of the reasons I liked it so much.