holy moly. I dont know if I can express how fracking excited I was to get in on this sew along! Ari and Kat are amazing! Then when they add their geekery to it, things get so intense, I’m blinded by neon, vinyl, cosplay inspired and just plain incredible.
SO this episode of Sew Geeky is Tank Girl inspired. Oh Tank Girl. I just started looking into the graphic novels, although I have been a long time fan of the movie. My mom and my sisters and I used to watch it all together with our popcorn and treats. Now that I think about it, it may have been one of the first VHS movies we owned.
I took inspiration from Jet Girl. Tank Girl’s partner in vigilante anti W&P rules. Specifically there is a brief glimpse of an animated part where the girls escape prison and are stealing the tank and the jet. Their prison uniforms are all tattered up. With all that in mind, I decided I wanted to go sleeveless, and shorts.
Immediately I thought of the Salme Playsuit. I’ve had my eye on the pattern for a long time. This seemed like the perfect time to use it and edit it and make it all zipped up!
Let’s talk about what I did. First, this is meant to be a utility jumpsuit. so I added zippers. 3 to be exact. I will try to describe what I did, but I was going with an idea sort of free hand. For starters, I changed the front closure to be an offset exposed zip. This is functional to about 3/4 down the zip. I can wiggle into it fully closed, but not out… So, zips must be functional. Second I added to back welt pockets with zip closures. Personally, I think my rear looks better with pockets than without. For further authentic detailing I added a cargo like pocket to the front. I had intended to add a buckle closure, but I couldn’t get one delivered in time.
For each of the boys, I made the iconic patriotic target shirt. I used freezer paper to make a stencil. A neat trick I learned years ago on Dana’s blog. I used a dinner plate, a salad plate, and a bowl to make concentric circles. I had the fabric paint on hand, from a screen printing kit.
This outfit is made by the accessories. I had an aviator cap in our costume stash but if you’d like to make one, you may remember Celina did a great project using laminates. We used safety googles which are great fun. I used some old nylons, and old socks to be my “found” costume attachments, and luckily I live in a dusty country to help my boots…
However, the belt I made completely. Its more decorative than functional. It helps to have a gun enthusiast in the family, as there are casings to be had for
projects recycling. Its only appropriate to have gun themes involved in a post apocalyptic sci fi type of show.
So get to your sewing of the beautiful geekery! follow along on instagram: #sewgeeky, @sewgeeky.
Thank you so much for having me ladies! I had so much fun chatting with you through the last few weeks and being involved in this truly unique project!
HOLY SMOKES! This has just been confirmed: enter with a comment (including your email) for your chance at a PDF copy of the Salme Playsuit Pattern!